Friday, January 9, 2009

Snow, Snow, Snow

We had a lot of snow this past Christmas! It started snowing December 14th and snowed for ten days straight. Not to mention the quarter inch freezing rain that came along on top of the snow to make conditions much more treacherous. I finally had my first white Christmas, though! It was very beautiful, but it was also a drag. I was stuck in my house for a week and a half, but thankfully, Sterling's truck was able to get around in the snow. (I made him take me out every day so my cabin fever wouldn't be too bad. I did manage to run around the house singing and dancing for awhile like a little kid!) I couldn't even get my Civic out of our garage because there were such high snow drifts behind our house! Going down my street was another issue.
When it snows, Portland shuts down. So we missed church two weeks in a row, the stores in the mall where closed or they closed early (hard to go christmas shopping!), Sterling's work was canceled, major airlines closed there transportation from Portland (Sterling had to bring my foreign exchange friend to the airport. She barely made it home in time for Christmas), the bus system was closed down or poorly operating, Portland doesn't believe in de-icing the roads because it is "bad" for the environment (ugh, environmental issues! I have to deal with them every day here in Portland.) Overall, it was quite the experience but I would not like to do it again. I think snow belongs in the mountains, only for skiing. Thank goodness all of the snow melted while we were on the beach for Christmas! Here are some pictures of our snow covered city!


This is the snow in front of our house.



All of the snow on the highway!



They got a couple more inches of snow out where Sterling's Dad lives.



Look at all of that snow!



Sterling got the wonderful opportunity of staying 4 extra hours at work so that he and other guys at work could help this trucker get his semi out of Bushwacker's parking lot and up the hill! 4 hours, amazing.

And this is the car that rolled right in front of us on christmas day. Their tires were completely bald. Luckily the people in the car were alright. That wicked snow that sucks your car right into it!

2 comments:

M-McClellan said...

Snow, snow everywhere. I am glad my snow only lasted for 24 hours. I would go crazy if I lived in a place with that much snow. I thought I was safe in Vegas, but this year I was proved wrong.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. What nut job thought that plowing the snow is bad for the environment. You guys need to move away from there or elect new government officials.

And what idiot drives around with bald tires on a regular road, let alone a snow covered road? (OK sorry, can you tell I have not been in a very good mood lately? Greg leaves in 9 days, cut me some slack, I am dealing with it in healthy ways?! :) I yelled at the lady at Sam's Club because every time I go to that place they move the bread or they don't have the butter I usually buy there, poor lady, but come on Sam's Club needs a new manager or owner.)

The Copelands said...

That is so much snow! And I agree with Michelle. Who thinks that plowing snow is bad for the enviroment? Dang working enviromentalists. At least we aren't enviromentalists...just hippies:) who enjoy the outdoors:)